This was the first thing I ever baked, not because I knew what it tasted like but simply because it is easy and seemed very appealing at that time. With time, and the more I got into baking I started to put my spin on it. Nowadays, I make it almost every week or every other week switching ingredients around.
Hot Milk Sponge Cake (with Coffee)- Guest Blogger
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Cups of Sugar
- 1 Cup of milk
- 4 tablespoons of Butter
- 2 tablespoons of coffee crystals
- 1 ½ teaspons of vanilla (pure vanilla extract)
- 1. In a bowl mix the flour and baking powder properly and set aside. Beat the eggs with a mixer on high for about 5 minutes or till its thick. Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium and gradually add the sugar, ¼ Cup at a time and let it thoroughly combine before adding another cup, till the whole mixture has a fluffy and light texture. Now add the Flour and baking powder mixture ¼ Cup at a time( this is very important), DO NOT add another cup til the initial cup has been thoroughly combined with the batter . Mix the coffee crystals into the milk and in saucepan or small pot, heat up the milk mixture and butter on medium heat till the butter melts completely and just before the milk starts to boil. Fold the milk and butter mixture into the flour mixture and mix it till combined. Add the vanilla and fold it into the rest of the mixture. Pour into a lightly greased baking tin and bake at 350oC for about 35-40 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean from the center. One more thing about this cake, it’s only nice if consumed within about 2/3 days..but I doubt it will last that long anyway. Enjoy!!